Colapsar
X
  • Filtrar
  • Tiempo
  • Mostrar
Limpiar Todo
nuevos mensajes

• Pepe Mel: I’m back home and with my people

Pepe Mel was officially welcomed back as manager of Real Betis, stressing that whilst delighted to make his return and though the situation of the club with the new board is more positive, the challenges remain as tough as ever.

“I’m back home and with my people. Times have been marked by the club and not by myself, so it’s my turn again now.” Began a contented Pepe Mel at his presentation press conference on Monday, returning to the club closest to his heart.”

Regarding his meeting and acceptance of the managerial post once more at Real Betis, Mel explained, “All I’ll say is that asked three questions of the president, the day we had the meeting, and he answered those three questions satisfactorily.”

“That’s why I’m here,” he continued, “with the aim of getting the club back in the Primera division, which is the only viable option for such an immense club as this, which shouldn’t be in the Segunda. I’ve come to do my bit with all Beticos. Let’s see if everything turns out well.”

“I accepted what I was told regarding the economic situation,” explained Mel, when it comes to the limited options for reinforcing the squad, but with assurances there will be some signings to be made in the January transfer window. “I’m not stupid, I know where I am. What this club has, is what it has.” However that didn’t prevent him from deciding to return, given, “everything else was very straightforward.”

Since he departed Real Betis last year, Mel has coached West Bromwich Albion in England for half a season, but he feels he’s the same man as always.

“I’m the kind of manager who above anything else, people like me for who I am. I can’t change the way I am and at 51-years-old it’s very difficult to change. Betis wanted Pepe Mel back, here I am and as such, I can’t change who I am.”

“I’ve made plenty of mistakes in my time, but I imagine that Betis, having seen both my failures and successes, felt that what’s predominant is that I’m a guy who’ll work hard for this club and that wants Betis back in the Primera, above anything else.”

During his last spell as manager, Pepe Mel took Real Betis from the Segunda to the Primera and into the Europa League, so expectations from fans will be as high as ever, with an understanding that the challenge is even greater this time.

“I have much more responsibility than in 2010. Just like now, I also arrived then with all the enthusiasm in the world. When I cam then, I learned the club was involved with legal problems and the place was like a brothel, but we still got promoted. Today everyone knows one another.”

“We have to get promoted, there is not other way and Betis shouldn’t be in the Segunda. The new president and board have been brave in giving the fans exactly what they want, putting the ball in my court and that gives me a tremendous responsibility.”

At the suggestion that with some reinforcements and the form of Rubén Castro, promotion back to the Primera should be easy, Mel responded, “There’s no such thing as easy in football.”

“Doing what Juan Merino has in the last four games isn’t easy. Getting a team promoted isn’t easy. We’ll have to suffer a lot, there will be bad moments and doubts.”

“If Rubén Castro hadn’t been injured in Manchester during the pre-season of 2013, we wouldn’t be where we are now.” Suggested Mel, regarding the talismanic striker. “I would have still been manager of Real Betis and Betis would have remained in the Primera.”

“Rubén is both a peculiar and special case. In the five years I’ve worked with him as manager, I don’t think I’ve had a conversation with him any longer than this press call. He’s a player you have to know how to work with. When he’s happy, he’s a marvellous player.”

So spoke my Pepe.

Comentario

Re: Pepe Mel: I’m back home and with my people

The Pepe Mel era - the second one, that is - is officially under way. After the players had a week off, he took charge of the first training session on Monday - in front of an estimated crowd of 10,000. Welcome back, sir.
      A lot of the important work is now going on behind the scenes, with the technical department scouring Europe for a creative midfielders, a left-back and a central defender to bring in before the end of January, but the first chance to see whether Betis can continue their good form of December is on Sunday evening at 6.15pm, when they visit Alcorcon up near Madrid. A win would make it five in a row.

Comentario

Pepe Mel returned to Betis by Christmas. Who would've thought! all the best luck in the world for him.

Verdiblanco de Holanda, Happy New year for you, all of yours and all beticos all over the world.
        Editado por última vez por Real Balompié; https://www.betisweb.com/foro/member/9389-real-balompi%C3%A9 en 31/12/14, 15:29:14.

Comentario

Originalmente publicado por Real Balompié Ver Mensaje
          Pepe Mel returned to Betis by Christmas. Who would've thought! all the best luck in the world for him.

Verdiblanco de Holanda, Happy New year for you, all of yours and all beticos all over the world.
          Thank you.Also for you and your family all the best wishes for 2015!

Comentario

Adaptable footer

Colapsar
          Espere un momento...
          X